POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Binary #write : Re: Feature Request: Binary #write Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Binary #write
From: clipka
Date: 26 Mar 2009 07:20:00
Message: <web.49cb647b6dca0b6493bfb07f0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Yes, as things are developing now (with a deep bow to you) 3.6 is only
> worthwhile for the Megapov things.
>
> How are ideas, by the way, to integrate *those* into 3.7?

How are ideas, by the way, to develop a 3.7-based Megapov version?

I guess the main point is that Megapov currently is a collection of 3.6 patches.
To integrate them into 3.7 requires a rewrite, so it's not just a copy-and-paste
job.

Maybe that is why, of all things, HDR images was one of the first Megapov
features to find its way into 3.7 POV: It's mostly about reading & writing an
image file format, which is, so to speak, "located comparatively far from 3.7
architectural changes": Image file handling has traditionally been done via
libraries, and POV 3.7 didn't modify those.

Other things, like the mechanics sim, are probably beyond POV ambitions ("Damn
it Jim, I'm a renderer, not a physics simulaition!").

The two things that would be ranking highest on my personal
to-be-integrated-in-3.7 list are probably the "#set" directive and the aoi
pattern.